Monday, September 23, 2002

Oh that's what that is...

So, if anyone was wondering, the stomach ache I've been feeling for the last few days wasn't food related after all.

Any guesses? Anyone? Come on, you should know. First thing that pops into your head.

I'm menstruating.

Welcome to womanhood, Andy. Hope you survive the experience.

The bleeding started last night before bed. I was changing into some pajamas when I saw a red stain on the inside of my underwear.

I didn't scream in horror or anything, more like... an exhausted sigh. I was not ready, but I'm a grown man, and not a total idiot. I've been in relationships, I've done some reading. I know probably nearly as much about being a woman as a 15-year-old girl does.

That doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it, but aside from the pain - and guys, the cramps are killer over here - I was mentally equipped to do what needed to be done. I frantically rifled under the bathroom sink for pads, specifically night time liners. It feels a little weird do have something down there, but weird is sort of the norm right now. I'm just thankful she's seemingly too young and awkward about her bodyparts to be on tampons. I don't think I am prepared for that... even if I can sort of see the benefits.

Hey, have they invented Diva Cups yet? One of my exes used that and it seemed really economical and, like... ecological. (See? I know some things.) Maybe I could withstand the discomfort with my current body for that.

I wanted to take the day off from school, but "mom" saw right through it. "If you missed five days of school every month you'd be held back." Well, I guess every other girl makes it through somehow. And a lot of them have been no better prepared for the experience than I have.

Still, walking through the hallways, knowing what my body was doing, put me on edge. I know nobody can tell, but I feel like they can tell. Like maybe I'm walking differently. It was those first few days all over again.

I felt shitty and I didn't want to talk to anybody and I couldn't focus and I was probably rude to Jessa's friends and... God, when does this become "normal"? Part of me wants that and part of me wants it to never happen again.

Based on what I've heard from women I know, it never really becomes "normal." For a lot of them, you just know what to expect but it never stops disrupting your life at least a little...

Guys, we don't give them enough credit for soldiering on and making it look easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment